Almost everyone I know—who isn’t complaining—is saying “We need to pray for our country.” That’s great, but are we doing it? Do we know how to pray effectively? Maybe we need some useful tools. Here are a few I’ve found helpful:
- Ever wonder what the president does every day? Take a look at https://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/daily-prayer-briefing/. I’ve followed this site for years through several presidencies. It gives the president’s schedule each day and suggests appropriate things he needs prayer for that specific day.
- ifa.org is a more detailed site about problems in our nation. There is a prayer listed for each issue, and you can click on it to show that you prayed. I don’t always have time to pray for everything, but even if I can only pray briefly, I try to pray about a few of the issues.
- Prayer Strategies Resource Book, by Ruth Shinness is a fantastic help in praying for the country or anything else. Ruth has Scripture prayers for believers to pray arranged in categories: Those in Authority, Pastors, churches, children, families, and so much more. It costs $10 plus a small amount for postage, if you order it from Ruth Shinness, 2539 E. 450 N. Anderson, IN 46012-9518, 765-643-0612 or 765-642-0623. You pay significantly more for postage on Amazon.
- Pray II Chronicles 7:14, “If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” This is a conditional promise. We first need to humble ourselves, pray, seek God’s face and turn from our wicked ways. Then God will answer. You don’t have any wicked ways? Think again. We all need to repent. There is a movement to pray this Scripture over ourselves and our nation every day at 7:14 a.m. and 7:14 p.m. It’s a good practice.
- There is power in united prayer. Ask the Lord to lead you to another person or group of persons with whom you can pray regularly for our country. I have a friend who hosts a prayer group for our country in her home every week. It’s a powerful group.
This is a time when all hands are needed on deck. We’re in a war that won’t be won unless we set aside our differences, agree that we need help, and seek God first. The alternative is anarchy.